Wednesday, March 13, 2013

One for Mom and One for Kid

Today I tackled a project for myself and one for Corin. While mine was purely cosmetic and helped organize some clutter, his was educational. As long as one of us is learning something, right?

You see my cute little palm tree that I did here sitting all alone on the printer? Today I took care of that and hung a floating shelf I found at Target on sale!! WHOOT!! Here's what can be done in a measly 15 minutes...with the right tools, no children under foot, and level walls...can you guess which one I had?



First you find the spot where you want to put it and level the clip. This particular floating shelf, by Home Accents by Target, comes with a french clip which means there are two pieces that fit together. Once you have it level mark your holes...


 If you guessed that I had power tools you were right!!The kit comes with drywall anchors that just screw in the wall, unfortunately I couldn't use those.  I had to drill pilot holes, because I have original sheet rock in my house which may actually be rock. You probably want to try to get at least one hole lined up with a stud, just for support reasons.


 VIOLA! A floating shelf for my palm tree...


The next project of the day was for Corin, and a sneaky form of education. I was cruising around Pinterest a couple days ago and came across this gem on a blog called That's So Cuegly. It's a dry erase marker handwriting binder. We just had parent/teacher conference and apparently Turbo Boy is lagging behind in the "letters in my name" department so it was a perfect idea!


So I ran to the store and grabbed a $1 binder and a package of cover sheets. Then I went online to this home schooling website called Confessions of a Homeschooler. She has all sorts of free print outs and I liked these the best...


Once I had everything together it was easy enough to put it all together...



Even with a three year old...


 26 painstaking pages later we had a binder of hand writing worksheets...


But Corin loved it and we had fun!! Just grab a dry erase marker and a napkin and you're good to go. I think I'm going to make an eraser out of felt and maybe get a little pencil case to hold everything??


I also added three pages of blank lines so we could practice writing his name...

He can trace like a pro!

Done and Done...Mom duties of the day are done, now to heat up a frozen pizza, watch cartoons until bedtime, and turn the dryer back on because I never got around to folding my morning load of laundry.


No comments:

Post a Comment