Monday, March 11, 2013

Bye Bye Baby

A few weeks ago I participated in a Winter Pinterest Challenge  I had big plans to paint and put together Corin's new big boy bed that I found at a local reused furniture store.


However, due to unfriendly painting weather I couldn't get it done. Not to be discouraged I pulled up my sleeves and did a quick craft for the kitchen...


I am happy to announce now that this past weekend the Sun shined down on Columbus and I finally got to work on the bed! I'm not feeling the writing thing today, so I'm going to make this short and sweet...


The bed had a brown stain with a black wash over it and while it was ok I didn't love it. So I chose a Navy Blue in satin spray paint by Valspar. It's awesome, because it has a built in primer and really does a nice job. I also gave a bed a once over with these finishing pads. It's like sand paper but it's flexible, like scotch guard greens scrubbers for dishes. They are awesome for projects, like this one, because you can sand something that isn't a flat surface (spindles especially).



See how nicely it fits between the spindles? It was really quick and easy to do the rounded parts and the creases...It took me maybe an hour to do the headboard, foot board, and two runners. The sanding pad was totally gross by the time it was done, YUCK!


When everything was sanded I wiped it down with a damp rag and put it together...



I then taped around the edge of the runner board on each side so that I wouldn't get a build up of paint and potentially paint them together. I also put a drop cloth down to protect the driveway. 




Then it was just a matter of painting everything. I did two light coats and then went back and touched up some areas where the brown was showing through. I didn't do a top coast because I want the brown to show through as it wears over the years.


 Once it was done I let if dry for 24 hours and then moved it into the house and the crib out. It was a little sad to see Corin's crib leave, but it was for the best...



 because he loves it...


No comments:

Post a Comment