Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Winter Pinterest Challenge: Darn You Mother Nature!!

So, today is the day! I am Linking up to the Pinterest Challenge with Megan (The Remodeled Life)Katie (Bower Power)Sherry (Young House Love) and Michelle (Decor and the Dog). The general idea is that I, and all their followers, were supposed to finish our Pinterest Challenge and show all of you how easy it was to complete something on our project boards... mine was going to be this new big boy bed for Corin.


I found this twin Jenny Lind bed for under $100 and it was going to be Navy Blue and I was going to do this whole project Monday and Tuesday with pictures today for you! And then this happened...


The entire state has been covered since Monday in rain, ice, and snow...in that order, every day. SIGH... unfortunately this kind of weather is not conducive to priming and painting a twin bed in your driveway and the below 40 degree temperature kept me out of the garage too. Stupid paint with its temperature and humidity needs...

So being the DIY doer I am I wasn't defeated, just momentarily depressed and eating a brick of dark chocolate when I remembered I have a bunch of this idea pinned to my "Do It Myself Projects" board...


I love these framed heart maps! This one is by Elizabeth from DIY Theory and I just happened to have all this stuff randomly around the house ready to go for a back up Pinterest Challenge!!


The framed letter is from Corin's old Alphabet mural we took down to paint the dinosaurs here, The rest was some wallpaper I picked up months ago at Lowe's for $3 a roll and an old travel atlas I don't need anymore. So first I pried off the back and cleaned up the glue edges of the frame.


Next I pulled of the letter from the back and scraped the paper off the board so I'd have a clean surface to attach the new paper...


Then I put the board on the paper and traced it. You'll notice that the paper changed, I didn't like the wall paper for the kitchen so I grabbed this stripe scrap book paper instead. After the paper was cut out I used double sided tape and stuck it to the board.



Once the paper was taped down it was time to make map hearts. I put a heart cookie cutter over the city i wanted, traced, and cut it out...


I aligned the three hearts and wrote underneath them...


I also drew a little heart around the actual city just to point it out...
      Bloomington, IN is where we met
     Montpelier, VT is where we married
     Columbus, IN is where we started our family


I added a little hanger to the back and Viola!! A little heart map for my sweetie and me...


It's not a bed, but it  means more to us... and was so quick Corin barely found out in time to "help."


2 comments:

  1. I made one of those for relatives when they were getting married - I put where they met, where they had traveled to, and where they live. I downloaded the maps from the internet since I didn't have maps of all the places I needed. They are such a great idea for adding a personal piece of art. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I didn't even think about looking online for maps, what a great idea! They are so great and what a neat gift to receive...Thanks!!

      Delete